ELD stands for Electronic Logging Device. It is USDOT and Transport Canada mandated electronic hardware that connects to a vehicle’s engine to record driving hours. It includes a screen for the driver, so they can monitor their current status and print hour logs when required by USDOT or Ministry of Transport inspectors.
How do ELDs work?
ELDs communicate with a vehicle’s engine control unit (ECU) to receive detailed engine status as well as provide accurate, near real-time GPS location information to a logging device or app that officials can check when needed.
For an ELD to be used to record Hours of Service (HOS), it must be certified by a third party. The ELD mandate requires all commercial vehicles to have an ELD device fitted to replace the previous paper logbook systems.
Anybody who was previously required to maintain a paper daily log should use an ELD, or operates cross-border including:
- Truck drivers who operate in the United States
- CMV (Commercial Motor Vehicle) drivers
According to the Canada Gazette, commercial vehicles will be exempt from needing ELDs if they:
- Operate under a specific permit issued
- Have a statutory exemption
- Are subject to a rental agreement with terms under 30 days
- Operate a vehicle that was manufactured before 2000days
- Operate within a 160km radius of their home terminal”
When will Canadian ELDs become mandatory ?
The new Canadian ELD rules will come into effect on June 12, 2021, at which date all applicable truck drivers must comply with these rules.
The benefits of ELDs
By using telematics technology tied to a vehicle and following regulations, drivers can reduce three of the top five finable areas:
- Not having driver logs, or having out-of-date logs
- Driving hours over the daily allowance
- Log errors
- This can give drivers peace of mind when arriving at a roadside inspection and can get them in and out quickly—without the potential risk of a fine. That can help reduce violation costs and save money.
By bundling an ELD with a fully featured GPS fleet tracking solution, you get additional benefits like automated IFTA reporting, DVIR functionality and much more.
Driver Management Software
Our GPS driver tracking system integrates easily, from logistics and maintenance through payroll and dispatch.
GPS fleet tracking
Our GPS fleet tracking software monitors your entire mobile workforce with increased visibility through our easy-to-use dashboards, detailed maps and apps.